Outfit: professional in s. Oliver and Noa Noa

professional outfit: business casual in navy blazer, light blue shirt tied at the waist, abstract printed skirt and mules


professional outfit: business casual in light blue shirt tied at the waist, abstract printed skirt and mules
Cat eye sunglasses, orange-red lipstick
diamanti per tutti diamond moon ring, name necklace
professional outfit: business casual in light blue shirt tied at the waist, abstract printed skirt
professional outfit: business casual in light blue shirt tied at the waist and abstract printed skirt
professional outfit: business casual in abstract printed skirt and mules
professional outfit: business casual in light blue shirt tied at the waist, abstract printed skirt and mules
professional outfit: business casual in abstract printed skirt and mules
professional outfit: business casual in navy blazer, light blue shirt tied at the waist, abstract printed skirt and mules
blazer: c/o S. Oliver - shirt: H&M - skirt: Noa Noa via Zalando - mules: Dorothy Perkins via Zalando - handbag: & Other Stories - cat eye sunglasses: ASOS - watch: c/o Daniel Wellington - rings: Diamanti Per Tutti - name necklace: Onecklace
pictures by Paulien

You know that process of transitioning from one life stage to another, and feeling like your style should evolve to fit the new you? Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy approaching life like a role in a movie, where I am my own character's stylist. I love thinking about all the small elements that make my look, reminiscing over what kind of signal they send, what kind of person other people might think I am based on first impressions. I feel like I have often talked about this type of exaggerated impression management I engage in, but I'm still waiting for the age where I'll grow out of it (if I ever will). For now, I still enjoy overthinking my style from time to time.

ANYWAY, I just wanted to set the scene for the quote-unquote "project" I have been working on for the last couple of years: Becoming An Adult And Looking The Part. Adultifying my style, if you will. As much as I still love my Nikes and skinnies and denim cut-offs, I felt like it was time for a change. To move forward, so that my image would reflect my age and my profession as a PhD researcher. And although that process is not completed (nor am I sure it ever will be - gotta keep moving!), I feel like this particular look I put together is the most ideal version of me-as-working-woman I've managed to translate into an outfit up until now. Young, classy, creative, flattering and full of character, with the slightest hint of that vintage 60s aesthetic that I'll always love. I especially appreciate the mix of baby blue (shirt), black + white (skirt) and navy (the blazer), which gives the look some more depth.

By the way, I'm partnering up with German brand s.Oliver, featuring their summer 2015 collection (and in a few months their f/w15 collection) to show how the brand manages to bring easy professional style that still feels young and current. They have an Antwerp storefront, but their webshop is especially worthwhile: the collection is just as extensive as, say, H&M's, but more put together and grown up. And as an added bonus, the webshop offers free shipping and returns, which I can't live without anymore. This awesome blazer part of my s.Oliver selection, and it is awesome for multiple reasons: unlined, which makes it light and airy for summer, and made of this semi-stretchy ponte fabric that keeps it shape really well without restricting my movement. S.Oliver sizing is on the generous side, so size down if you're in doubt.

Hope you like the look!

5 comments

  1. I can totally understand with feeling your style should fit the new you, i'm similar in the way that if i want a new start or anything, something about me has to change, whether it's my hair, i start fake tanning, etc.

    Btw i love your sunglasses! I need me a good pair of cat-eyes!

    Courtney | http://courtzmelv.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooeh vavavooom! die lipstick is trouwens een prachtige kleur voor u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ja ik ben er ook echt verliefd op! nieuw van & other stories, prachtig oranjerood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them so much as well! I actually bought a second pair when the first broke :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some days I want to look professional and others I just want to dress like a cool young person. So I do! I love this classy outfit though. The light blue top looks perfect with your patterned skirt and that shade of lipstick is gorgeous on you too.


    Jamie | www.petitepanoply.com

    ReplyDelete